We’re Moving In! New Office in Wantage
Post Office Vaults, 50 Market Place, Wantage, OX12 8AT
The Simpsons Estate Agents team are branching out to a new office in Wantage! A highly regarded Oxfordshire market town, bursting with potential, and plenty of beautiful homes nestled in the lush rolling hills of the Vale of the White Horse.
Simpson's new Residential Sales & Lettings division is located in the beautiful Grade II listed ‘Post Office vaults, a former shopping arcade and public house and is currently undergoing refurbishment ahead of opening on 6th April 2021.
Why We Love Wantage
The Times earmarked this quaint market town location in 20171 as one to watch, and we can see why! With government plans to create 23,000 new jobs for the area around Wantage, and at the time, the development of over 1,000 homes with planned construction had begun, with an additional 5,000 with outline planning consent on the horizon.
Discussions of reopening the decommissioned Grove / Wantage railway line2 may have been jilted in July 2020. However, with Wantage & Didcot MP, David Johnston behind the campaign for the reopening of the station, Oxfordshire County Council remain hopeful about the future, stating that “it would stand a better chance of success in a different funding stream that is coming in November”.
When the official ‘Restoring Your Railways’ fund is reassessed at the end of the Summer, we're hoping this key train line will be reconsidered. We’ll keep you posted!
Why You’ll Love Wantage
Its current lack of a train line is one of the main reasons house prices continue to be ‘reasonable’ in this beautiful market town location.
• Stay Connected! Oxford station is a 16 mile commute, or Didcot’s station is an 11 mile drive. And, Superfast broadband is widely available.
• Education, Education, Education! Wantages’ two primary schools, Wantage CofE and Charlton have both been judged as ‘Good’ by Ofsted. Whilst King Alfred’s Academy has been rated ‘Outstanding’, St Helen & St Katherine’s (known locally as ‘Helkats’) and Abingdon Boys are equally as reputable independent senior schools.
• Specifically designed for young parents! One of the town’s popular spots is Wildwood, part of a small chain of Italian restaurants, this unique venue is home to a 35-seat cinema. Parents can enjoy a delicious meal downstairs, whilst children can be safely entertained upstairs.
• Classical Style. A venue for more formal dining is the Bear Hotel. A local landmark, overlooking MarketPlace, the Bear Hotel has been serving weary travellers for over 500 years.
• Local Watering Holes. Wantage has a plethora of delightful gastro pubs serving traditional and cask ales. Visit the Greyhound Inn in nearby Letcombe Regis, the Star Inn in Sparsholt, or the Eyston Arms, in East Hendred.
• Be Entertained! Local community centre, the Beacon Arts Centre, whilst closed at present due to government guidelines, is hosting various virtual events including stand-up comedy, live music, theatre productions, guest speakers, film screenings and pantomime.
• Steeplechase. Just two miles away at Lockinge, the annual Easter Monday Cazenove Capital Point-to-Point and Country Day, is one of the most celebrated steeplechases in the country. dating back to 1830!
Where To Buy in Wantage?
If you’re looking for a new development, of which there are several, the average house price (for a semi-detached home) starts from £338,000. However, if you go for one of the Victorian terraces branching off the arterial road leading to Market Place, your home will set you back over half a million. The neighbouring villages of the Hendreds, Aston Tirrold, Kingston Lisle, the Letcombes (Bassett and Regis), and Blewbury provide ample housing choices too!
The Simpsons Wantage Team
Headed up by local residents, Eleanor James, Branch Partner, and supported by Holly Woods, Assistant Branch Manager, the new office will continue to offer their clients an exceptional residential sales and lettings service, with excellent knowledge of the local property market.
The Simpsons team is now on hand in two gorgeous market town locations, ensuring that buying, letting, or selling your move in Oxfordshire is as smooth, stress-free and as personal as possible.
• Contact the Wantage Office: 01235 765555
• Contact the Abingdon Office: 01235 520079
3. The Gait Post, ‘Lockinge Easter Point-to-Point Extravaganza’